You can use Clearbit data in Marketo to automatically enrich new leads that have an email address with person and company attributes. This is done by setting up a webhook with our Enrichment API. Marketo’s webhook functionality allows to get you up and running in under 5 minutes.
What's in this Doc?
- Where does Clearbit data go?
- Creating Custom Fields
- Connecting Marketo and Clearbit
- Mapping Clearbit data to Marketo
- Triggering the Clearbit Webhook
- Clearbit Attributes Returned in Marketo
Where does Clearbit data go?
Clearbit data maps to any existing Marketo fields, but in case the attribute you are looking for doesn’t have a field by default you can add custom dimensions by following the steps below.
Creating Custom Fields
- In Marketo, select Admin at the top right of your screen.
- On the left hand panel, you will browse to Field management and choose New Custom Field.
- Choose the field type (Pick ‘string’ for short text fields and ‘text area’ for longer fields, like bios)
- Name the field and click `Create`
- Repeat for any fields you want to add
Custom Fields Video:
Connecting Marketo and Clearbit with a Webhook
- Select Admin, and on the left hand panel you will browse to Webhooks. Choose New Webhook.
- After naming the webhook, enter the following in the URL text area:
- Change Request Type to GET, and Response Type to JSON. Click Save.
Authorizing Your Account
You’ll be navigated to your home screen where you can add authorization. This makes sure that you are connecting the correct Clearbit account with your Enrichment subscription to Marketo.
- Under the Webhook Actions toolbar, select Set Custom Header
- Add a new header. Set Header to Authorization and Value to Bearer YOUR_API_KEY. You can find your Clearbit API key from https://clearbit.com/keys)
Create Webhook Video:
Mapping Clearbit Data to Marketo Fields
- Click the Edit button on the Response Mapping Box on your Marketo dashboard.
- Click Add
- Set Response Attribute to the Clearbit attribute you want to grab.
Here are the Clearbit attributes for Person and Company.
- Repeat for each field you want to set up. (Helpful Hint: Copy and paste from the attribute columns in the list below.)
Triggering a Webhook in Marketo
With your webhook now set up, you will need to build a trigger to decide when data is added to a record. The steps below show how to enrich every NEW lead that is create, but you can use any Marketo trigger you’d like.
- Under the Marketing Activities tool bar, select New Smart Campaign. Then choose to add it to any folder you wish. We like to keep it in our Data Management folder.
- While in this current campaign, select the Smart List tab on the tool bar.
- On the right hand panel browse to Lead is Created, and click & drag to the main work space.
- Under Flow, drag Call Webhook to the workspace and select your new Clearbit webhook.
- Drag Wait to the work space, place under Call Webhook and set it to 1 minute.
- Drag a second Call webhook (your new Clearbit webhook) to the workspace and place it under wait.
(If you are curious, calling the webhook the first time triggers the lookup, the wait gives the API enough time to complete the lookup, and the second webhook call retrieves the results.)
- Under Schedule, click Activate.
Building a Webhook Trigger in Marketo Video: