Setting up Clearbit Enrichment for Marketo forms
The new Marketo forms integration has a lot of benefits, including:
- Increased conversion rates
- Better quality data from signups
If you are ready to integrate Clearbit into your Marketo forms, follow the steps below.
1) Update your Allowed Referrers in Clearbit
In order to make sure that no one but you is using your Clearbit account to enrich forms, you'll need to whitelist your domain(s).
- Go to the API settings of your main Clearbit dashboard.
- Scroll down to the Allowed Referrers portion of the API Settings section.
- Add the domain(s) your form is going to appear on. For example, if your form is going to display on a landing page at https://example.com/my-landing-page, you would add example.com.
- Also, to make sure the form works on all subdomains, like any testing sites, you can also add the domain *.example.com.
- After you're done, click the Update account button.
2) Create the Clearbit Form Status field in Marketo
To power Clearbit's form shortening feature, you'll need to create a custom field that will be used to check whether Clearbit returned data about a lead or not.
- Log in to your Marketo account and go to the Admin section in the navigation bar.
- Select Field Management from the left panel, under the Database Management group.
- Click on New Custom Field from the main panel and create a field with the following properties:
Clearbit Form Status
- API Name:
- After you're done, click Create.
Note: the API Name of the field must be exactly clearbitFormStatus in order for it to work correctly.
3) Create your form
The next step is to create the form you'll be using in your website.
- Go to the Design Studio section of the navigation bar.
- Click New and select New Form from the available options below.
- Fill in the modal with the appropriate information.
4) Add the email address field
When creating your form, make sure to move up Email Address as the first field. That's the only required visible field and the one Clearbit will use to look for data on that lead.
5) Add the Clearbit Form Status field
Let's now add the custom field we created earlier (Clearbit Form Status) and set it's field type as hidden so that users won't see it.
6) Add dynamic fields for form shortening
The last part of editing your form involved adding as many of the mapped data points you configured previously in the Setting up Clearbit Enrichment for Marketo set up guide. You can view them by going straight to the Data Mappings section of your Clearbit for Marketo dashboard. In order to make these fields dynamic, we have to enable Visibility Rules on them.
Let's create an example form with these fields: First Name, Last Name, Job Title, Website. We'll be using First Name to show the pattern we'll follow for the rest of the fields:
- Click the First Name field.
- Look at the properties table to the right and scroll down until you find Visibility Rules. Click on Disabled to open up the rules modal.
- Select Hide as the behavior we want to start with. We want the field to remain hidden unless the conditions we set are met.
- The first condition should check if Clearbit Form Status is empty. Since no email has been inputted when the user first arrives to the form, Clearbit hasn't searched for data on that person, so the field should remain hidden.
- The second condition checks if Clearbit Form Status contains data on the property FirstName. If Clearbit returned data on that field, we want it to stay hidden. If not, we want it to be visible so the user can type it in. (Note: Clearbit writes data to the 'SOAP API Name' of the field, not the 'Friendly Label'. You can read the full list of fields here.)
- When you're done with your form, click Finish in the top right corner and Approve and Close right after that.
7) Add your form to your website
Now it's time to add your form to your website.
- Go back to the Design Studio section of your navigation bar and select the form you just created.
- Select Form Actions and click on Embed Code from the available options below.
- Copy the embed code and paste it wherever you'll be using it in your website.
- Go to the Forms section of your Clearbit for Marketo dashboard.
- Click the Copy Code button to copy the snippet to your clipboard.
- Paste it above the closing
</head>tag of all the individual pages where you'll be using forms containing Clearbit enrichment.