Getting started with segments
Build your first segment
First think through the segment that you'll be creating. For the purpose of this tutorial let's pretend that you want to create the following segment -
Accounts with open Opportunities that have at least 500 employees and have either hit your website 10 times this week or have hit your pricing page once.
To start building your first segment, head to the companies tab (the process is the same for people) and hit the green New Segment button. Segments are organized into folders called Collections, so you'll want to start by creating an appropriate Collections in which to place your new segment.
Attributes that you can segment on are organized by source.
- Clearbit - Clearbit's person and company enrichment data
- Salesforce - data synced from Salesforce (Accounts, Opportunities, Contacts and Leads)
- Page view - specific page view data to query by
- Custom trait - custom data that you send us via clearbit.js or Segment
First, let's start by adding the attributes we want every account to have.
- From the Opportunity section set the Closed attribute to false
- Using the + icon add an additional criteria
- From the Clearbit section set the Company Employees attribute to >= 500
Since the last two criteria for this segment use a different operator (OR instead of AND), you're going to want to group them separately. Groups can be added from the + icon, and as the name suggests allow you to group several criteria with a common operator (AND/OR).
- Using the + icon, add a group
- From within that group add an All page views criteria and set it to 10 times in the last week
- Add a second criteria to that group - Page views matching with the path set to /pricing and time frame set to 1 time in the last day.
- Lastly, click the AND in your next group to change it to an OR.
That's it! You're final segment should look like this -
Once you hit save, your segment results will automatically generate. This can take up to a few seconds.
Note: Keep in mind that companies and people can be created from a variety of sources both implicit and explicit. If you want to query only companies/people that have hit your site, you'll want to make sure to add a page view criteria to your segment.
View your segment
You can also customize the columns displayed or download an ad-hoc CSV from the menu in the upper right.
There are many different ways you can use Clearbit X where a timely notification is valuable to act on. Here are some common segments broken out by teams within a company:
- Common segments for marketers
- Common segments for sales development
- Common segments for account executives
- Common segments for product managers
Once you've built your segments, then the next step is setup destinations where your notifications will be sent.