Getting started with Segments
Build your first segment
First, think through the segment that you'll be creating. For the purpose of this tutorial, we'll pretend that you want to create the following segment:
Accounts with open Opportunities for companies that have at least 500 employees, and have either hit your website 10 times this week or have hit your pricing page once.
To start building your first segment, head to the companies tab (the process is the same for people) and hit the white and green New Segment button at the bottom of the lefthand sidebar. Give your segment a name, and assign it to a collection.
All users start with a "Default Collection". Collections are folders to organize your Segments. You can also create your own named Collections by clicking on "New collection" in the sidebar.
Now, we're ready to build our criteria for the Segment.
Segment attributes are organized by source, like "Clearbit" or "Salesforce" in the above screenshot.
- Clearbit - Clearbit's person and company enrichment data
- Salesforce - data synced from Salesforce (Accounts, Opportunities, Contacts and Leads)
- Page view - specific page view data to query by
- Custom trait - custom data that you send us via clearbit.js or Segment
First, let's start by adding the attributes for the criteria "Companies with a Closed Salesforce Opportunity AND that have 500 or more employees."
- From the Salesforce -> Opportunity section, select the Closed attribute and set to false
- Use the + icon add an additional criteria
- From the Clearbit section select the Company Employees attribute and set it to >= 500
Next, we'll add the attributes for the second set of conditions:
"...And have either hit your website 10 times this week OR have hit your pricing page once."
Since the last two criteria for this segment use the OR operator, we need to group them together. Groups can be added from the + icon, and as the name suggests allow you to group several criteria with a common operator (AND/OR).
- Using the + icon, add a group
- From within that group add an All page views criteria and set it to 10 times in the last week
- Add a second criteria to that group - Page views matching with the path set to /pricing and time frame set to 1 time in the last day.
- Lastly, click the AND in your second group to change it to an OR.
That's it! You're final segment should look like this:
Once you hit save, your segment results will automatically generate. This can take up to a few seconds.
Note: Keep in mind that companies and people can be created from a variety of sources both implicit and explicit. If you want to query only companies/people that have hit your site, you'll want to make sure to add a page view criteria to your segment.
View your segment
You can also customize the columns displayed or download an ad-hoc CSV from the menu in the upper right.
There are many different ways you can use Clearbit X where a timely notification is valuable to act on. Here are some common segments broken out by teams within a company:
- Common segments for marketers
- Common segments for sales development
- Common segments for account executives
- Common segments for product managers
Once you've built your segments, then the next step is setup destinations where your notifications will be sent.