Troubleshoot the Visitor Report
Last Updated: November 22, 2023
🚨 Note: On Nov. 17, 2023, we launched a new version of the Visitor Report that's fully integrated with the Clearbit platform. As a result, legacy Weekly Visitor Reports will stop generating on Nov. 24th, 2023 (but will still be accessible until Jan. 1st, 2024). Learn more here.
The Visitor Report is a free-to-try Clearbit solution that shows you who's visiting your website and ready to buy. We built it to allow anyone in marketing, growth, ops, and go-to-market to infuse intent into their outbound and ABM efforts.
You can find it by going to app.clearbit.com/visitors or by clicking Visitors in the sidebar.
If you've set up the Visitor Report correctly and are not seeing companies getting identified in your account, please try the preliminary troubleshooting steps below before reaching out to email@example.com.
Skip Ahead to:
- You (or Your Teammates) Can No Longer Access Reports
- You're Logged Into the Wrong Clearbit Account
- Check if You Have the Correct Script Installed
- Confirm the Script is Being Detected
- Verify Google Tag Manager Implementation
- You’ve (Perhaps Unintentionally) Unsubscribed From Getting Report Notifications in Your Inbox
You (or Your Teammates) Can No Longer Access Reports
The most current version of the Visitor Report no longer produces publicly accessible reports, and instead, requires report viewers to:
- Be a Clearbit user
- Be a user of the Clearbit account that set up the Visitor Report
E.g. If Jane Smith from HubSpot set up the Visitor Report for hubspot.com, and John Doe from HubSpot wants to access those reports, Jane will need to add John as a user to her Clearbit account.
Learn more here.
You're Logged Into the Wrong Clearbit Account
It's currently possible to be a user of more than one Clearbit account. As a result, it's possible to set up the Visitor Report with one account, but log into a different account and not see any data.
To verify if this is the case for you, please follow these steps:
- Log into Clearbit
- Click on the account picker to confirm if you're a user of more than one account
- Choose the account that you believe is associated with your Visitor Reports
Click Integrations in the sidebar, and then the Connect button for the Clearbit Tag
- Click Test integration
- If you get a confirmation, then you're in the right account. If not, then it's likely you're in the wrong account. Repeat steps 2 - 5 until you get this confirmation!
Check if You Have the Correct Script Installed
Every Clearbit account is associated with a unique script. Access to this script is initially given during your Clearbit account onboarding.
You can also access your script at any time by clicking Integrations within your free Clearbit account.
Your script should look like the sample script below, and be placed directly above the closing head tag in your HTML file.
<script src="https://tag.clearbitscripts.com/v1/pk_xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/tags.js" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin"></script>
The placement of the script is important, to ensure that it's not interfering with any other script you may have on your website.
Confirm the Script is Being Detected
You can confirm by:
- Logging into Clearbit
Clicking Integrations in the sidebar, and then the Connect button for the Clearbit Tag
- Clicking Test integration
Seeing a confirmation
Verify Google Tag Manager (GTM) Implementation
Some common issues we see when using GTM to install our script include:
- Using the incorrect ” quotation marks versus the correct " quotation marks when adding your script
- Not adding the full script into the Custom HTML Tag
- Not waiting a few minutes for GTM to deploy
- Forgetting to fully publish, or needing to re-publish
- Publishing to the wrong website
- GTM itself not being properly implemented on the website, or it's functionality being hindered by website builders or custom code
- Including referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" in your script (this part of our script is only for direct installation, not GTM).
To ensure proper implementation, please follow the steps below:
1. Create a pageview trigger or confirm that one is already set up
Open Tag Manager and choose your websites Container. Open Triggers on the left hand side and look to see if there is a Trigger where Event Type is "Page View". If there is not Page View trigger, click New on the top right, click on Trigger Configuration and choose the Page View type from the list. Name your trigger, e.g. "Page View" and save.
2. Create a custom Clearbit HTML Tag
Next, go to the Tags section on the left-hand side. Create a New Tag and name it, e.g. "Clearbit Visitor Report". Select the Custom HTML Tag option.
It will look like the sample script below. To find your script, see here.
<script async src="https://tag.clearbitscripts.com/v1/pk_xxxxxxxxx/tags.js"></script>
4. Paste the code in your Custom HTML tag
Paste the code in your Custom HTML tag created in step 2.
5. Select the trigger
Use the Page View trigger that we set up in Step 1 or one that is already available.
6. Submit and publish the changes
You may need to add a version name and summary of your changes, for example, "Add Clearbit Visitor Report script". Hit Publish.
7. Confirm it is installed
See here for instructions.
You’ve (Perhaps Unintentionally) Unsubscribed From Getting Report Notifications in Your Inbox
If you suddenly stopped receiving report notifications, it's possible that you've either intentionally or unintentionally unsubscribed from getting report emails sent from us. Our Growth team can re-subscribe you if you write to firstname.lastname@example.org.