Legacy: Integrate Clearbit Enrichment with Segment
🔍 Please note: This article is for customers on Standard Bundle, Enrichment, or Clearbit Platform plans. If you signed up in 2024, you are on a Sales Intelligence for HubSpot plan: Free, Growth, or Business.
Last Updated: September 25, 2023
For pricing information, please fill out the demo-request form on our pricing page to get in touch with a sales representative.
With a few clicks, you can automatically add person & company data for all identified users into Segment and fan that data out to all of the 180+ integrations.
Use cases include:
- Sync all your users and events to Redshift, then automatically enrich that data with Clearbit. Once that data's in Redshift it's simple to query the data however you'd like, building customer segmentation reports or better understanding the products your customers use with Clearbit's tech tags.
- Pipe all your users to Customer.io, and then build segments based on Clearbit data. For example, you could use Clearbit's role attribute to send a different drip campaign to customers in sales than those in software engineering.
- Send data to an analytics provider like Mixpanel, and you'll immediately have fully fleshed-out customer profiles available for even more detailed analysis. The sky's the limit – use Clearbit's data to track conversion rates by industry, for example.
- You can find some additional awesome ideas here.
How Does it Work?
The Clearbit integration listens to the Segment Identify Event. We'll then take the email associated with the Identify Event, enrich it, and issue another Identify Event. Once that email address has been enriched Clearbit data will be available to any of the integrations you've configured in your Segment source. We will only re-trigger an Identify Event once every 30 days for a particular email.
How Do I Set It Up?
📝 Please note: If you have already added the integration then skip steps 1-3.
- Find the Clearbit integration on the Integrations page of your Segment Source in your Segment account (or you can add it to your Segment account from the integration's landing page).
- Add your account's Secret Clearbit API Key to the Settings page of the Clearbit Integration in Segment.
- Click Save Changes and Enable Integration.
- Verify that the integration is working correctly by checking the Debugger section of your Segment Source. If everything has been set up correctly, you should start seeing Clearbit data populate in the Identify events – click on the specific event you're interested in to see Clearbit traits. These traits will now be available to other Segment integrations in your account. Notice that all Clearbit traits are prefixed with clearbit_ to ensure they don't conflict with existing traits.
💡 Clearbit Tip: By default, the integration will only enrich users identified after the integration is enabled. If you'd like to backfill data you'll need to fire a new identify event in Segment for all existing users you'd like to backfill.