Set Up Clearbit Enrichment for Marketo Forms
❗Disclaimer: If you signed up after Feb 15, 2022, please follow these instructions on Set Up Clearbit Forms for Marketo.
You'll first need to Update your Allowed Referrers in Clearbit, to make sure that no one but you is using your Clearbit account to enrich forms.
- Go to the API settings of your main Clearbit dashboard.
- Scroll down to the Allowed Referrers portion of the API Settings section.
- Add the domain(s) your form is going to appear on. For example, if your form is going to display on a landing page at https://example.com/my-landing-page, you would add example.com. To make sure the form works on all subdomains, like any testing sites, you can also add the domain *.example.com.
- Click the Update account button.
- oT power Clearbit's form shortening feature, you'll need to create a custom field that will be used to check whether Clearbit returned data about a lead or not. First, log in to your Marketo account and go to the Admin section in the navigation bar.
- Select Field Management from the left panel, under the Database Management group.
- Click on New Custom Field from the main panel and create a field with the following properties:
Clearbit Form Status
- API Name:
- Click Create.
📝 Please note: the API Name of the field must be exactly clearbitFormStatus in order for it to work correctly.
- Now, we'll create your form. Go to the Design Studio section of the navigation bar.
- Click New and select New Form from the available options below.
- Fill in the modal with the appropriate information.
- When creating your form, make sure to move up Email Address as the first field. That's the only required visible field and the one Clearbit will use to look for data on that lead.
- Let's now add the custom field we created earlier (Clearbit Form Status) and set it's field type as hidden so that users won't see it.
- Now, we'll add dynamic fields for form shortening. The last part of editing your form involved adding as many of the mapped data points you configured previously in the Setting up Clearbit Enrichment for Marketo set up guide. You can view them by going straight to the Data Mappings section of your Clearbit for Marketo dashboard. In order to make these fields dynamic, we have to enable Visibility Rules on them.
Let's create an example form with these fields: First Name, Last Name, Job Title, Website. We'll be using First Name to show the pattern we'll follow for the rest of the fields. Click the First Name field.
- Look at the properties table to the right and scroll down until you find Visibility Rules. Click on Disabled to open up the rules modal.
- Select Hide as the behavior we want to start with. The fields will remain hidden when any of the conditions we set are met.
- The first condition should check if Clearbit Form Status is empty. Since no email has been inputted when the user first arrives on the form, Clearbit hasn't searched for data on that person, so the field should remain hidden.
- The second condition checks if Clearbit Form Status contains data on the property FirstName. If Clearbit returned data on that field, we want it to stay hidden. If not, we want it to be visible so the user can type it in.
📝 Please Note: Clearbit writes data to the ‘SOAP API Name’ of the field, not the ‘Friendly Label’. You can download the list of standard fields Or you can view both standard and custom fields by jumping to Admin > Database Management > Field Management and clicking on Export Field Names.
- When you're done with your form, click Finish in the top right corner and Approve and Close right after that.
- To add your form to your website, go back to the Design Studio section of your navigation bar and select the form you just created.
- Select Form Actions and click on Embed Code from the available options below.
- Copy the embed code and paste it wherever you'll be using it in your website.
- Click the Copy Code button to copy the snippet to your clipboard.
- Paste it above the closing
</head>tag of all the individual pages where you'll be using forms containing Clearbit enrichment.