Build an Account-Based Retargeting Campaign on Facebook
To create an account-based retargeting campaign for Facebook and Instagram, we're going to use Clearbit advertising to de-anonymize the visitors on your website, and only retarget people from qualified accounts.
Second, we're going to create an expansion audience or an account-based prospect audience. And this audience is gonna allow you to not only target the visitors on your website from qualified accounts but prospect into those accounts. So we're also targeting all the other decision-makers and influencers that work with that employee.
How To Build an Account-Based Retargeting Campaign on Facebook
The first step is to create a website visitor audience and that's the one that's going to retarget the person who visited your website:
- Head over to the Audiences tab in Clearbit.
- Click Create a new audience button on the top right.
- Choose to Advertise to website visitors.
- Click Create a Company Audience. Create a campaign for Clearbit advertising. Name your segment, Clearbit advertising ICP site visitors, and choose a collection so that it's well organized.
- Specify the Attributes for the site visitors you’d like to target from the drop-down menu.
In this case, we know that we want to target people in B2B SAS. So we going to use clear bits company tags, to target people who work in B2B, SAS.
And second, we want to refine this a little bit so we're only targeting companies that are headquartered in the United States.
We want to focus in my campaign on the Facebook advertising use case, so we're going to use a technology tag so that we can only target companies who have the Facebook pixel installed on their website. In order to target people who have visited a specific page in this case. We select target anyone.
- Click the Next button and choose the Facebook Ads account and the pixel you would like to synch your Clearbit Advertising Audience to. What's going to happen is when somebody visits the site Clearbit is going to check against this segment, and see if the person and the account related to that person belong in this segment. And if it does, it's going to send information to the Facebook pixel so that you can retarget them. And finally, we want to make sure that the naming paradigm works for what you want to see in Facebook.
- Click Create and Sync Audience button.
The second step is to create a prospect audience, which is going to dynamically identify the accounts that have been on your site within a certain period of time:
- Navigate to the Advertising tab and select create a New Audience.
- Choose to Advertise to New Prospects.
- Choose the Prospect from an existing company audience radio button. This is going to allow us to do is dynamically prospect into our account. So as new visitors visit the site and we identify new accounts, they're going to enter this audience because we already created a segment for my site, the website visitor audience.
- Click Create a Company Audience button.
💡 Clearbit Tip: Company Audiences are the building blocks of Clearbit audiences and marketing workflows. When you create a new account-based Prospect Audience, we save the Company Audience you created so that you can use it in other workflows.
- Specify the criteria for the companies you would like to target and choose a person's attributes from the drop-down to define which types of employees you would like to target.
In our case, we reuse the same segment here. We'll see that we use those same qualification criteria and any account that's visited one time in the last month.
As we want to define the specific people that we want to prospect into. Who are the other people, the other, decision-makers the influencers that we want to reach in this account?
In our case, we have two types of people and I'm going to use the role criteria to do this. So in this case, I want to reach marketing and while I have a lot of choices here, normally we might only want to reach digital marketers. We really want to reach all the decision-makers and all the influencers.
Select marketing and leadership as well because they can be drivers in decisions like these.
- Type in a name for your Prospect Audience. In this case, we're going to call it Clearbit expansion audience and hit the Next button.
- Select the radio button next to Facebook Custom Audience and specify which Facebook account should receive it on the other side .
- Edit the audience name, or keep the same one and click Create and Sync Audiences button.
These two audiences are now starting to build in Facebook and when you create your campaign in the ad set creation process you are going to add both of these audiences within the same ad set in the inclusion criteria. This will allow you again to not only retarget the people from qualified accounts that have just recently visited your site in the past month, but also prospect into all the other decision-makers and influencers.