Install the Clearbit Tag
Last Updated: November 8, 2022
Skip Ahead to:
- Install Clearbit Tag on Website
- Set Your Allowed Referrers
- Installing Clearbit Tag with Google Tag Manager
- How Can I Verify That the Clearbit Tag is Working?
- How do I Track the People Visiting My Website?
- Can I Prevent the Clearbit Tag From Firing on Specific Pages or For Known Employees?
Install Clearbit Tag on Website
- In Clearbit, click the Connections tab in the sidebar, and click the Set up button.
- Click the Copy code button.
- Paste it directly before the closing </head> tag in your website's HTML
📝 Please note: While Clearbit will load synchronously—important if you depend on personalization—the tags it manages will be appended asynchronously by default.
Set Your Allowed Referrers
After you installed the snippet add the domains, as well as any subdomains, that you would like Clearbit to track to the Allowed Referrers list. This is a security measure that will ensure your public API key won't be used on any other sites. There is no need to list specific paths or wildcards here.
📝 Please note: If you intend on building an audience in the Clearbit platform based on page views of a subdomain, you'll need to add the subdomain here.
Installing Clearbit Tag with Google Tag Manager
- Open Google Tag Manager, and choose your container to create a custom Clearbit HTML tag.
If you are using the Clearbit Google Analytics integration, choose the container that contains your Analytics tag.
- Create a New Tag and name it. Select the Custom HTML Tag option.
- Navigate to the Clearbit tag configuration page and select the Google Tag Manager tab.
- Copy the paste the code in your Custom HTML tag in Google Tag Manager.
How Can I Verify that the Clearbit Tag is Working?
Once the Clearbit tag is live on your website, and you have saved your Allowed Referrers, Clearbit will automatically identify and track the companies visiting your site.
To verify that the Clearbit Tag is receiving data, click the Test Integration button and look for the receiving data checkmark.
To verify that the tag is actively revealing IPs on your website, visit the companies dashboard to see your live web traffic. Look for companies with recent Last Path and Last Visit At activity.
How Do I Track the People Visiting My Website?
If you want to reveal and track individuals on your website (as opposed to just companies) you will need to identify your users. This can be done by implementing Identify calls on your web forms with Marketo or HubSpot, allowing Clearbit to track users.
Can I Prevent the Clearbit Tag from Firing on Specific Pages or For Known Employees?
Our customers sometimes like to configure the Clearbit tag so that it does not fire on every page within their domain, or for internal employees that view their own website so that it doesn't get counted as a Monthly Unique Visitor. Both of these goals can be accomplished by modifying your implementation on your website itself. For example, if you are using Google Tag Manager, you can easily set up page view filters to define when the script is or is not loaded on the website:
- GTM Page View Triggers documentation
- Training Video Example (the example uses referrer, but you could easily Page URL or Page Path)