Last Updated: November 8, 2023
Skip Ahead to:
- Set your allowed referrers
- Track your website visitors
- In your Clearbit account, in the left sidebar menu, navigate to Integrations.
- Click the Copy icon.
- In your website’s HTML, paste the snippet before the closing </head> tag.
📝 Please note: while Clearbit loads synchronously, the tags it manages are appended asynchronously by default.
Set your allowed referrers
After you install the snippet, add the domains and subdomains that you want Clearbit to track to the Allowed Referrers section. This is a security measure that will ensure your public API key won't be used on any other sites. If you want to create an audience based on page views of a subdomain, add the subdomain in this section.
📝 Please note: you don't need to list specific paths or wildcards.
To add domains and subdomains to the Allow Referrers section:
- Enter the domain or subdomain in the text field and click Enter or Return on your keyboard.
- To remove a domain or subdomain, click the X next to the domain.
- Once you have finished adding your domains and subdomains, click Save.
- Navigate to Google Tag Manager, and choose the name of your container to create a custom Clearbit HTML tag.
- If you are using the Clearbit Google Analytics integration, choose the container with your Analytics tag.
- Create a New Tag and name it.
Select the Custom HTML tag option.
- Click the Copy icon.
- Navigate to Google Tag Manager and paste the script in the HTML section of your Custom HTML tag.
- In the Triggering section select All Pages.
- Click Save.
3. To verify that the tag is actively revealing IPs on your website, in your Clearbit account, in the left sidebar menu, navigate to Companies to review your live web traffic. Companies with recent Last Path and Last Visit At activity indicate the tag is actively revealing IPs on your website.
Track your website visitors
To reveal and track individuals on your website (as opposed to just companies) you need to identify your users. To do this, you can implement Identify calls on your web forms with Marketo or HubSpot, which will allow Clearbit to track users.
- GTM Page View Triggers documentation
- Training Video Example (the example uses a referrer, but you could easily Page URL or Page Path)